Sunday 10 January 2010

Things to do in the Snow Time

Pic. left. This is a view my Dad had while on one of his business trips. It was taken yesterday in Poland. International Snow Time.

I can't help but think I would be better off doing some grooming and yard work rather than teaching. I guess lessons and training are the luxury goods for many riders while the horses have to be seen to whatever the weather...

There are some benefits of this weather of course. Apart from substantially progressing with Academy's project I've been also catching up with a lot of theory material towards my further BHS exams, the Stage IV and the Stable Manager's exam.
I watched more various training videos and read more about lameness/ correct movement in horses this last two weeks than in good few months.

Kingsley's Rehab

The fight with the snow continues as we try to keep up with Kingsley's rehab programme. We are at 14 minutes walking under the saddle with 30 minutes walking in-hand when we can't ride him.
I did the 13 minutes walk on Saturday and he started off quite weak but got stronger as we went. It would be great to have the physio-vet there watching as I wasn't sure how much to push him after that few days break and how much to insist that he stays round and long and low. He is not entirely comfortable in rounder outline and goes behind the bit as a result of previous owners' riding him in draw reins. I watched the video of the walk afterwards and there was a big, positive, difference in his balance when I kept him round and connected to when he was allowed to poke his nose and hollow.
Additional problem we are having is that the indoor school is now the only place in where to ride so all the liveries exercise their horses there. Walking a horse on a rehab that had no turn out for the last 10 days and is only allowed to walk is rather challenging with teenagers galloping around like mad.
We are ploughing through though. Pauline did 14 minutes today and said he was less hollow and easier to keep round.
Two days of in-hand walking now. Then I will do 15 minutes on Wednesday.

More snow is falling down as I write. My Surrey riding school made an extraordinary effort and rescued their sand school removing ALL the snow with shovels and spreading some anti-freeze material (salt and grit of sorts I believe) on top of the surface.
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it this morning, it was soft and springy and perfectly rideable. Grand relief.

I consider myself very lucky to have some very generous help in these hard times. I just hope I will be in a position to re-pay for it at some point with equal generosity.
Share:

No comments

© Riding Instructor's Diary | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig