Friday 7 August 2009

Crookedness and flexibility issues

Today I ran one my Intensive Training Days for two lovely ladies. It was their first such experience but one loans a horse and the other rides regularly. It's been a day of many discoveries and I hope they will be back soon for much more! It is always such a pleasure to teach committed riders, no matter the level.

Pics. above: Rider collapsing in left hip.

When I teach riders from their first lesson everything is much easier because I don't deal with any deeply ingrained bad habits, just instincts and behaviours that are relatively easy to shape.
When I teach riders who ride a lot but haven't had a good seat education, that's when we need to get creative. Sometimes I look at a rider and think "Right, where do we start!" ;))
I think it's important not to correct everything in one go as more often than not those riders have decent balance and can do rather a lot with the position they came up with! If I changed everything in one instant they might feel like all those years were for nothing.
Not to mention muscle memory is a very stubborn creature - good if it remembers the correct values, not so good if they are wrong.

With both riders today we had a bit of a mixture of bad habits, flexibility problems, various forms of crookedness and lack of alignment. We started addressing some of the issues and tried to have lots of fun in between :)

To watch these two riders on their Training day go to: http://trainingdays-equestrian.blogspot.com/ and scroll down to the 7th August.
Share:

2 comments

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an interesting and challenging day! You're so right that it's important to address things in context, and not try to fix everything at once.

Anonymous said...

Touсhe. Outstanding argumеnts. Keep uρ the аmazing effоrt.


my wеb-ѕite Bestdayz.Com

© Riding Instructor's Diary | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig