Wednesday 24 March 2010

Looks Like Someone Finally Found Out What's Wrong With Kinglsey Boy...

"Most likely no condition of the horse's limbs is as feared by horse owners as is navicular syndrome. Probably no condition is as frequently suspected as a cause of lameness in the horse as disease of the horse's navicular bone. Certainly, few conditions that cause lameness in the horse are as frequently diagnosed as is navicular syndrome." Dr. David W Ramey

After feet X-rays and nerve blocking Kingsley was diagnosed with Navicular Syndrome in both front feet. It looks like this is the primary problem as once nerve blocked he trotted up sound, both on hard surface and arena surface.

So yay! for diagnosis as we can now target the treatment properly but a grand neigh! to the nature of it! I "lost" my very first horse to this disease as he had to be retired from riding. I think I was hoping today's lameness work up reveals some miraculously small problem...

I will post a proper update when we get a formal vet report so I can be accurate. Kingsley will be pleased to know he can go out in the field again from tomorrow as there is no point to box rest him. Poor little man, if they could only talk we would have known this 6 months ago.
I am glad we finally came across a vet who knew how to approach Kingsley's problems and found the root cause.
We have to wait and see if the SI pain was just a secondary, temporary pain or something that is more chronic and also needs an ongoing treatment.
He will get a massage lady to play with his muscles on Monday but we won't be following with the cortisone injections into the poll and SI for the moment.
Share:

5 comments

Anonymous said...

The SI pain may just because he's been holding himself in an odd way to avoid the foot pain - my mare developed SI problems after a rear suspensory issue where she was using her body the wrong way to protect the weak leg.

Glad you've finally got something definitive to work with - I understand many horses can do well with this under the right circumstances.

Rising Rainbow said...

Sorry to hear about this diagnosis. It's a tough one for sure.

Anonymous said...

Debi here. Yeah..Neigh pretty well sums it up. BUT..you do have something to go on now like you said. Super about the Academy site map, why do all these little things take so blessed long?I got my brochures printed this week, yay. The web site is kind of up, you can visit at any rate, type it up in the address bar for now though.www.wrschool.ca We are finally having a bit of spring here. The last two nights were to have been the last of the super frigid ones, I hope. Hot lemon and honey for your sore throat my dear. Hot rum and honey also works ;)) but best at night! Good luck with the little man.

HorseOfCourse said...

Ah. Nice to have a diagnosis, but I am sorry it wasn't a better one.
Still, knowing what is giving him problems, you are able to make the best of it. Good luck, Wiola!

Unknown said...

Hello there and thank you for your support.
Kate - it's definitely good to have something to focus on and it all depends now whether he responds to the treatment or not and if yes, to what degree. There is a mare on the yard that has much worse case of navicular problems and is slowly recovering to the point of being able to be ridden in trot without lameness/pain.

Rising Rainbow - thank you, it's one of those things I didin't want to hear!

HorseOfCourse - yes I definitely like to have a plan of action rather than random going round in circles. Fingers crossed some treatement options work on him.

Debi - we're all go with various options now so we shall see in a few months. He is happy and shiny and gets loads of TLC from both me and Pauline who adores him - what else would a horse want? ;)

I had a look at your site - yay for online appearance!!! :):) I keep changing bits and pieces and it is indeed taking forever. It all seemed so easy in my head when I think about it but when it comes to putting it into words everything gets much more complicated!
One month to go! x

© Riding Instructor's Diary | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig