Thursday 8 April 2010

April Plans & Academy's Next Step


Word of hindsight wisdom - if you're freelance, have a sicky fund ;) Not that I've got one but I would certainly like to have it.
As hard as it is not to be earning I decided to give my illness one more day as I continue having very little voice, jumpy temperature, cough and just generally feeling ill. I worked in similar states before but it always ended up dragging with me for weeks, disapearing for a moment only to return with double strength. Not worth it. I am fully aware I am not making it easy for myself working 7 days a week but right now I don't think I can do it any other way.

Right, onto the current whereabouts...

As I am now at the yard, lovely Cane End Stud, that kindly let's me use their facilities I can offer lessons for horse owners without them having to pay unrealistic amounts. I have two girls coming from London with their horses next week which I am looking forward to.
Speaking of teaching. Someone I taught once at one of my BHS exams contacted me to arrange for me coming for the day to her livery yard. Although I've done some 'training days' (don't want to call it 'clinics' as that's something top riders do!) for Riding Clubs before, this is the first properly paid teaching trip. I am very much looking forward to it and hope I can offer what the riders want/need.

ACADEMY

I have just bought a domain and hosting account for the Academy and it's all getting more and more real!
www.aspire-equestrian.com
(there isn't much there as yet) but do check back soon!

I now have to order some promo materials as well as place the adverts. Lady from Horse & Hound is due to ring me mid-April to help me with putting adverts online in the right places on H&H website. Then there are a few horsey magazines to consider on top of some non-horsey places to encourage people new to the sport.
If anyone out there knows of good places to advertise comprehensive Training Programmes for riders at all levels, adults and junior riders (12-18yrs old) from those first time in the saddle to affiliated competitors please email me at ridinginstructor at gmail com or leave a comment on here.

We will be looking to find riders with aspirations to get the best they can, improve their skills with help from a network of supporting coaching services. The Academy is partially venues based (riders without own horses can learn to ride/train at several participating Riding Centres in London, Berkshire, Kent & Surrey) partially mobile (any horse owner can have their training session at their yard providing the outside trainers/instructors are allowed). There will also be a possibility to attend training sessions on own horse at participating venues.
Descriptions of the Programmes will be released on the website on the 1st of May. To give you more of an idea here is the latest of each Programme in a nutshell:

Aspire Equestrian overview:

START - training focus here is 99% on the rider and the programme is designed as a start up for anyone who wants to begin their adventure with the sport. This is the only 'fixed' Programme and consists of 22 Lunge Lessons and is solely committed to seat education, development of balance & coordination.
Riders will also learn the basis of handling of the horses, stable management, equitation theory; we will also address rider's fitness and performance even at this early stage both for improvement but also for fun and enjoyment.
As well as providing a great start to the sport this programme can also be taken by:
-anyone wanting to re-educate their seat
-come back to riding after a long break/injury/accident
-BHS students needing to address their position in the saddle

FOUNDATION - roughly 75% rider focused, 25% horse focused. Level 1 & 2. This is a programme where most 'riding school' type riders would fit in. It's for novice/intermediate level riders learning correctness of the aids and principles of basic schooling of the horse (at Level 2).

DEVELOPMENT - roughly 65% rider training focused, 35% horse training focused.
=riders straight from Foundation Programme
=riders developing partnership with new/young horse
=riders learning to train their horse
=riders wanting to train towards 'start up' competitions (low levels unaffiliated)

PERFORMANCE - 50%/50% rider/horse training focus
=for competition riders wanting training plans to improve performance
=affiliated and higher levels unaffiliated
Some exciting plans are being made for this Programme :)

BHS Training - preparation for BHS exams for all aspiring coaches out there.

And the last news to share is that I have a possible riding project available and I'm figuring out ways to fit in riding him into my busy working schedule. Thankfully, there is a nice young rider who is happy to share the training workload with me. I will introduce the horse properly once we are up and running with it.






Share:

4 comments

HorseOfCourse said...

Sounds very exciting!

Get well soon - I hope you'll feel better tomorrow.

Unknown said...

It's so exciting indeed. It's also a daunting task...still exciting though :)

Thank you, feeling much better today,voice still bad and cough very irritating but getting there :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Wiola...Debi here. Getting well when we are on the 20 hour day 7 day week regime is daunting. Do you wonder if that is the way our bodies say enough already?1? Take care of yourself as if you were a horse..;) Re coaching. Last year I guinea pigged a new rider. Instead of 'teaching' her I had both of us 'teach' her body. She just came back after 3 months off and there is no loss of ability or function. It seems to be like learning to read or walk. Will be making much more use of this technique in the future, bonus is the rider leaves with good positive feelings after every single ride! Wish I had discovered this years ago. Kingsley is looking much better, what a relief to know whay it is. Good luck with the new project..may he never have a lame day. I ttry to advertise where I know the riders or more specifically the person who pays for the riding hangs out. If I am targeting little girls..try leaving brochures at places their mums frequent, like the hair and nail places. Current riders are in places that you and I dash into..tack stores, feed shops, coffe places etc. Ask 'where are the people that should be riding when they are not riding?' and go there. I also utilize sports venues like swimming pools, skating rinks, the athletes have parents and siblings that might want to be somewhere else! All the best!

Unknown said...

Hello Debi and thank you ever so much for your ideas :) Love the 'where are the riders when they should be riding' ;))
New project horse isn't mine and I won't be buying him but of course, hope he stays sound! Going to have a play with him on Monday and will take some pictures. He's quite hairy and rough at the moment, he hasn't been sat on since last summer.

Hmm, re coaching...tell me more about this 'teach the rider's body' technique?

As to 7 day week - daunting but still not enough time! Got to organise myself better I think.

All the best!

© Riding Instructor's Diary | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig