Thursday 10 September 2009

Let me tell you...

Kingsley is settling in brilliantly. Me, less so! ;) I am yet to return home before 9pm so my routine needs a serious tweak.
Thankfully, I am only teaching 2 hours tomorrow and will have more time during a day to organise myself and still be back at a reasonable time.
For now I'm mucking out and getting his hay, waters and feed ready during my official lunch time. As I am super slow with all this, it takes me an hour to have everthing done. Then ride him after 6.30pm when I am finished teaching. This is not ideal as it means he gets his evening feed quite late and it's difficult to ride him with all the evening lessons going on.
Now, I could ride at lunch time...The problem with riding at lunch times, however, is that I have to be finished by 2pm to go teaching so by the time I get him ready and allow for the time to do him after exercise I maybe have 30 minutes to work him. The thing is he's got so much energy in him that he would probably still want to power forwards after 1.5h...;))
My main aim with him at the moment is to teach him to carry himself in a better balance so he doesn't have to run everywhere 100 km/h. He is one of those horses that are fairly agile and very flexible so he is not too bothered about how and where he places his feet - his natural ability
to remain secure and stable in whichever position doesn't really help.
All this said, he is so much fun to work with that I am already looking forward to seeing his happy face tomorrow :)

Share:

5 comments

English Rider said...

Sounds inspiring. Not much time to comment lately but I read all your posts.

Unknown said...

Thank you for reading and no worries, I am very much a reader than commenter myself.

Anonymous said...

what about riding him while you teach a client...teach from the horse, they do it in Germany...or take him hacking with a client? or teach a client to lunge him...on the days when you are teaching all day anyway....as you need your lunch hour!!!

teaching all day and 9pm finishes is not sustainable, you will be shattered!!

train boyfriend to do all yard management tasks....:-)

Unknown said...

Hey Anna! I wish I could do that but I'm not allowed to do my horse in work hours :( He is too sharp to just stand when necessary while teaching but hacking might be possible. Problem is, it would only work with experienced clients but definitely worth a try when he is a little more predictable. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Oh and as to Rick doing the stable chores - I can forget it ;)))

© Riding Instructor's Diary | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig