Tuesday 4 January 2011

There is a very valid reason for not standing behind a horse...Oh and update on Norway trip!

There might be a mare around who dislikes your horse and you get a swift double barrel before you have the time to think "oh shit!". I've learned that 10 years ago so it wasn't me today (you simply don't make THIS mistake twice). My evening riders today went a little complacent about this rule and one ended up with a very accurate, embedded drawing of a hoof print on her thigh. We drove to the hospital just to be on the safe side but looks like there are no broken bones. Phew!

Now, the exciting training trip is now all booked up, flights and all! Even more amazingly, we have all the 8 places booked up already (30 minutes from when Maria sent the poster out!). No pressure then ;)

Here is a little snapshot of Maria's poster:


You can see the full version on her blog if you click on the image above. And this is our venue, looking all snowy from outside - thankfully they do have an indoor arena too :)


Photo by Maria of Horse Of Course
Share:

9 comments

Anonymous said...

Getting kicked is no fun - hope she feels better, and as you say, she won't make that mistake again.

The trip to Norway sounds very exciting!

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

I was double barreled once... put myself in between a witchy mare who was fixing to mow down a small child
carrying an entire bag of carrots.

Congratulations on the clinic - sounds like a great trip. Can't wait to hear about it :)

juliette said...

Ouch on the kicking! Hoofprint on thigh - not pleasant.
Happy, happy on the trip. I just read your New Year's post! Talk about exciting!!! I will live vicariously through you and your posts - I think Maria's photographs are so lovely of her rides there. Except, of course, the temperatures! Have a wonderful trip!!

The Odyssey Farm said...

Hi Wiola, I found your blog through Maria's a month or so ago. I have enjoyed following it. Best of luck with your academy and your trip to Norway! It sounds fab. Do tell us about it!

Unknown said...

Kate - she feels ok and X-rays all clear but I am sure it will take a while to heal.

Yes, the trip is mega exciting :)

C,F,S - eek! This one had no back shoes on or otherwise it could have been much worse.
Thank you - I will sure blog about it!

juliette - I know, the weather there is a little worrying but I love the snow, it's just so wonderful! When I am over-consumed with work I rarely feel the weather anyway and it all looks like it will be a lot of fun and very engaging :)
I'm loving your posts and thoughts of confidence and retraining the ex-racers!

The Odyssey Farm - glad you like my blog :) I will keep it updated on the Norway adventure. I had a look at your photos - very snowy too!

Nic Barker said...

Dress (and pack!) like you are going to Exmoor and maybe you won't go far wrong ;-) - perhaps an extra layer or two(!)

Unknown said...

Haha Nic - all this warm layering reminds me of when my Mum dressed us up in Poland in those wool jumpers as first layer. There were the best insulation ever, you were just like a sheep, dry and cozy but god they were itchy!!! It was a torture and I also remember being told it was on purpose to increase circulation ;)

Rising Rainbow said...

I hate to hear that kind of thing. Glad she is OK.

Very exciting that that your clinic filled that quickly. Good for you. Goes to show the need there is for good clinicians out there.

Don't put yourself under that pressure you spoke of. You don't need it and you will do just fine. Clinics can be quite fun and such a wonderful tool. Go gettum, girl!

Unknown said...

Thank you Mikael, I know what you mean by not creating unnecessary pressure - I know I will love it once we are there!

I hate accidents of any sort, even worse is seeing the riders in situations like this but sometimes even most careful organisation doesn't help.

© Riding Instructor's Diary | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig