Wednesday 26 September 2007

Teenagers who think they know it all...

On avarage I really do enjoy having some teaching hours at riding schools but the last couple of days was not the best! Yesterday was not too bad and I managed to talk some people into learning a little more than just sitting there. I also got a horse to exercise which broke the afternoon nicely. However, today, I got a group of girls who ride regularly and help at the stables and I can honestly say I have not come across such arrogant riders for a while. I am not the kind of teacher who enjoys shouting and ordering people about and if someone does not want to learn then be it! The thing is they usually get to ride less experienced horses in order to work on them for clients which makes me feel responsible for their progress.
The typical conversation would be: 'Girl A, you are doing this, try doing that to work on your fault'. Reply:'No, I am not doing this'...I say: 'Would you like me to take a picture of you?'. She says nothing but later continues to insist she is right. We have a little conversation and I insist she tries what I suggest; surprise, surprise - the pony becomes much more obedient and tunes in.
You may say it is about respect and discipline and that was their first lesson with me but it is also sad that they are so immediately against learning more. They finally put their minds to the job and horses went lovely. I do wonder whether they even appreciated that effort though...
Oh well! ;)
Share:

2 comments

Lasell Jaretzki Bartlett said...

It is possibly harder to be a teenager than to be around a teenager! *g*

It is so important, developmentally, for them to be asserting their independence from adult influences, just a normal part of being that age. But try to teach them or extend a helping hand -- you felt exactly what that is like!

If you can find a way to adjust how you present your good ideas so they think it is their idea to try them out, you may win them over in a heart beat. So you become more of an invisible coach rather than a very visible teacher. You will know if they are picking up on it of course because the horses will go better! And the kids will open to you rather than continue with their (age-normal) efforts at independence.

I love aiming for that anyway, all the time, though it's a huge challenge. The approach of "let them think it's their idea" I even use when I'm directing a horse, trying to set it up so the horse feels like he made the choice to do X, Y, or Z, and is happily and proudly carrying me along. You may know that feeling with horses. Now how to translate it to the teens!?! Good luck! *g*

Unknown said...

Thank you for your comment ljb :)

© Riding Instructor's Diary | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig