Tuesday 9 February 2010

One Step Forwards

Have you ever heard about 'spontaneous trait transference'?
When you gossip about another person, listeners unconsciously associate you with the characteristics you are describing, ultimately leading to those characteristics being 'transferred' to you. So, say positive and pleasant things about friends and colleagues and you are seen as a nice person. In contrast, constantly bitch about their failings and people will unconsciously apply the negative traits and incompetence to you. Source: Richard Wiseman '59 seconds'

Interesting isn't it? I think the world would be a much nicer place to live in if more people made use of the positive side of gossiping.

Anyway. That was just a little digression.

The past week was packed with long hours and I just didn't have the time to sit down and put it all into words. Up until Thursday I made a super progress with Kingsley but hit a bit of a problem when I rode him on Friday. More about it in a separate post on his Rehab.

Friday actually started with a lovely extension to my birthday. As I only had half a day off on the 2nd we decided to use Friday morning to top the day up ;) Rick and I went for a lovely walk through Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park for breakfast in a recently refurbished Cafe on Serpentine. The weather was all of a sudden all springy and sunny, absolutely gorgeous. Didn't last very long though. Weekend was back to freezing cold. I ran a Training Day on Saturday which was great fun and the rider loved it.
The Centre had the Riding Club giving Vaulting Demo and I was challenged to have a go. I haven't done vaulting for 15 years but it was a good laugh. Hoping on in canter was easier than I thought it would be after such a long break. However, standing on the horse was a different matter. Quite spooky!

Pic. above: Ally patiently letting me stand on her back. Note her expression of total boredom ;)

Sunday was as always rather interesting with my dear naughty ponies playing up in the cold. We had a late evening stable-drink-party-leaving-do as my fabulous, funny, amazing beginner rider is daring to stop her lessons now that she is getting somewhere! She is off on a bit of a journey around the hot parts of the world and I am invited to Mango Beach when she gets there! I just need to find some time for the time off to be able to go. Oh, and funding!
Either way, I hope she will be back once her year around the world is up for more adventures in the saddle. In return for riding lessons I've been given some great driving instructions and practical sessions. We came up with rather eccentric mnemonic for various maneuvers that is unfortunately totally unsuitable for print but made us laugh so much I couldn't operate my facial muscles anymore. My driving is now taken to the next level, I only hope I won't use any of the mnemonics on my exam or I might have trouble passing it.
Will miss you loads Linds!! X

At the beginning of the year I decided I wanted to find an additional job so I keep learning new things that will help me with what I want to do in the future. Ideally I wanted something on a professional yard and take part in rehabilitation of horses with sports/performance related injuries and retraining of ex-racehorses. Well, I will be starting a job of the above description in March on Mondays and Fridays and I am very much looking forward to it. More details to follow next month.

Stressful as it is I also decided on the launch date for Aspire Equestrian - 1st May it is! End of procrastination.

Yesterday, I went to a second in the series of lectures by one of the TTT trust's trainers, Andrew Murphy. I will write a summary of it tomorrow as it's getting late yet again and an attempt to put it all together would probably end up in a chaos ;)

Another day with Anna Ross-Davies this month to look forward to and some more news to come soon.

I think that's it for now. Hands into olive oil and cotton gloves and off to bed :)
Share:

No comments

© Riding Instructor's Diary | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig