Sunday 28 February 2010

Kingsley's New Home And Some Snippets From Today's Teaching

Kingsley all smug in his isolation box in his new home. All horses stay out of the main barn upon arrival so he will move rooms once it has been proven he doesn't carry any nasty viruses ;) He also has to be warmed before being allowed to join new field buddies so no turn out for 48hours. I am going to see him tomorrow and ride him if he seems settled reasonably well. We haven't ridden him for the last couple of days as were awaiting decision from our physio. The conclusion for now is to keep riding but if he rears again then turn out only until the re-assessment day on the 15th of March.

Another very wet day at work It rained all day but the very evening and some little windows of dryness for 10 minutes now and then. As the horses on my Sunday yard aren't expected to always be prepared and compete in all weathers we decided it wasn't fair to school them in the driving rain on lake-like surface. Instead, I was asked to come up with some good dry alternative to a lesson...Having decided that a lot of riders have problem with correct rein usage we arranged for some "contact" lessons...I might put some pics and videos up tomorrow as my mobile refuses to cooperate with my computer today.
The idea was that one person played a horse, one a rider. The "horse" had a bridle on with a bit resting across the person's belly. The "rider" stood behind the "horse" and held reins as normal. The "horse" had to close their eyes and let the "rider" ride her through transitions, shoulder-in, leg-yield, circles. The focus was on using various rein effects and maintaining contact so the "horse" felt secured and happy about the direction of travel.
I thought it would just be a bit of fun but instead it turned out to be a rather addictive exercise showing up all the problems each rider has when in the saddle! They all found it very useful and we had a few light bulb moments. I instructed each "horse" to drift, evade, not listen if the "rider" didn't use the rein correctly.
We'll see how we go when we put this all in practice next week!

I also had a rather interesting conversation with my new little rider. S. is 8 or 9 years old and quite chatty. She asked me whether the pony she was on could have babies.
-Well, not here - I said - we would need a field here especially for a baby foal.
-But she could have a baby and then you could take it to a field...
-That's true, but she would also need a daddy...!
A very long silence where I thought I have just gotten away when S. says:
- Horses are a bit like humans then, not like dogs. Dogs can have puppies without a daddy dog.
Hmm, damn, I think, did the kid learn about Artificial Insemination????
- Who told you that? - I ask instead.
- Mummy did.
Umm. Right. There are obviously some amazing theories being created by said Mummy so I reply: Well, S., I have never heard about such situation but you never know (that last thing I add just in case Mummy DID somewhat mean AI ;), let's have a little trot, shall we?

Then, just before we finished, the pony S. was on decided it was a good time to windsuck on arena fence. Loud. S. looks at me with a bewildered look on her face:
-Have you just burped? - she asks me.

So I gave her a nice scientific explanation of winsucking and cribbing!
Share:

1 comment

Anonymous said...

He looks happy in his (very pretty) box! I like the exercises where one person plays the horse and one the rider - lots of interesting and useful combinations.

© Riding Instructor's Diary | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig